Lenses For Sony Mirrorless Digital Cameras (a7 III, a7R III, a9, a6500)
This is a pretty exhaustive list of Sony E-mount lenses.
To help you answer your question of “what lens should I get?”, jump to the section that is most relevant for you.
- What should be your first lens for your Sony mirrorless camera?
- Which third party Sony FE lenses have autofocus and which do not?
- How to tell the difference between Sony FE (full frame) lenses from Sony APS-C lenses.
Quick navigation: Third party manual focus lenses (MF) | Native all purpose FE zoom | Native wide angle FE fixed focal length | Native wide angle FE zoom | Standard FE fixed focal length | Medium range FE telephoto | Native FE macro | Native FE telephoto zoom | Native FE telephoto fixed focal length | Third party lenses with AF | Samyang/Rokinon FE | Sigma FE | Tamron FE | ZEISS FE | ZEISS Loxia (MF) | Voigtlander (MF) | Samyang/Rokinon (MF) | Venus Optics Laowa (MF)
Native lenses for Sony a7, a7 II, a7 III, a7R, a7R II, a7R III, a7S, a7S II and a9 cameras
Whilst adapted Canon EF lenses (using Sigma MC-11 or Metabones IV/V) have largely been reported to work well on Sony mirrorless cameras such as the a7 III and a9, we recommend native Sony lenses to achieve optimal autofocus (AF) speed and accuracy.
Got a a6000, a6300 or a6500? Jump to the list of APS-C lenses.
Here is a list of all native Sony lenses for your a7:
All purpose zoom lenses
Planning your next holiday?
With an all purpose zoom lens, you can (in theory) bring only one lens with you. But knowing you, you’ll want to bring everything. Or perhaps you prefer a walk-about lens that can do it all? Then look no further.
- Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS 🔥
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM
- Sony FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS
- Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
Wide angle fixed focal length lenses
Wide angle prime lenses are a specialty lens usually sought after by photographers who want to capture landscapes with ease. Wide angle primes are also great for street photography situations.
- Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM 🔥
- Sony FE 28mm f/2
- Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA
- Sony FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA 🔥
Wide angle zoom lenses
- Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS 🔥
Standard fixed focal length lenses
In film days, the 50mm focal length was often referred to as a wide angle.
It is one of the most popular focal lengths as it replicates the human eye’s field of view.
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.8
- Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA
- Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA 🔥🔥
Medium range telephoto fixed focal length lenses
85mm to 100mm is generally considered by photographers as the ideal focal length for portraits. This is because you can either shoot wide open with these fast aperture prime lenses to achieve stunning blurry background separation or stop down the aperture to produce highly detailed and sharp portraits.
- Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 🔥🔥
- Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM
- Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS
Definitely a specialty lens, macro lenses are for photographers who love seeing detail in their photographs.
- Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro
- Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OS S
Telephoto zoom lenses
For when your subject is quite some distance away from you and getting close to your subject is not ideal or possible (e.g., moving vehicle, track runner, football player, wildlife), these telephoto zoom lenses will give you the results you desire.
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS 🔥
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/4G OSS
- Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS
- Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Telephoto fixed focal length lenses
- Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Third party lenses with autofocus for Sony a7, a7 II, a7 III, a7R, a7R II, a7R III, a7S, a7S II and a9 cameras
As the Sony a7 and a9 gain popularity, third party lens manufacturers are creating more options for Sony photographers.
If you didn’t know already, native Sony FE lenses are very expensive.
The following list contains all Sony E-mount FE lenses developed specifically for the Sony a7 and a9 camera series.
- ZEISS Batis 18mm f/2.8 🔥🔥
- ZEISS Batis 25mm f/2 🔥
- ZEISS Batis 85mm f/1.8
- ZEISS Batis 135mm f/2.8 OSS
- Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art
- Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art 🔥
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art 🔥
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art 🔥
- Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG MACRO Art
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
- Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art 🔥🔥
- Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art
- Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD 🔥
- Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8 FE
- Rokinon AF 24mm f/2.8 FE
- Rokinon AF 35mm f/1.4 FE 🔥
- Rokinon AF 35mm f/2.8 FE
- Rokinon AF 50mm f/1.4 FE
Third party manual focus lenses for Sony a7, a7 II, a7 III, a7R, a7R II, a7R III, a7S, a7S II and a9 cameras
If you prefer the touch and feel of pulling your own focus, consider the following lenses:
ZEISS Loxia E-Mount
- ZEISS Loxia 21mm f/2.8 T*
- ZEISS Loxia 25mm f/2.4 T*
- ZEISS Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T*
- ZEISS Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar T*
- ZEISS Loxia 85mm f/2.4
- Voigtlander Heliar-Hyper Wide 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical
- Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III
- Voigtlander Super-Wide-Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical III
- Voigtlander COLOR-SKOPAR 21mm f/3.5 Aspherical
- Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4
- Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 Aspherical
- Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm f/2 Aspherical
- Voigtlander MACRO APO-LANTHAR 110mm f/2.5
Samyang/Rokinon E-Mount Manual Focus
- Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 ED AS IF NCS UMC Fisheye
- Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
- Rokinon 20mm f/1.8 ED AS UMC
- Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
- Rokinon T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS Tilt-Shift
- Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
- Rokinon 50mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC
- Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC
- Rokinon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
- Rokinon 135mm f/2 ED UMC
Venus Optics Laowa E-Mount
- Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D 🔥🔥
- Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/2 FE Zero-D 🔥
- Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro
- Venus Optics Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Macro
- Venus Optics Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Ultra-Macro
- Venus Optics Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth Trans Focus
E-Mount lenses for Sony APS-C cameras (a6500, a6300, a6000)
Sharing the same E-mount (not FE full frame however) are the Sony APS-C mirrorless cameras such as the a6500 and a6300.
Here is a list of all Sony E-mount lenses for your a6500:
Wide angle zoom lenses (APS-C)
The go-to focal range for capturing stunning landscapes.
- Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS 🔥
- Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS 🔥🔥
All purpose zoom (APS-C)
Planning your next holiday? With an all purpose zoom lens, you can (in theory) bring only one lens with you. But knowing you, you’ll want to bring everything. Or perhaps you prefer a walk-about lens that can do it all? Then look no further.
- Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS 🔥
- Sony E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
- Sony E 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS LE
Telephoto zoom lenses (APS-C)
- Sony E 55-210mmm f/4.5-6.3 OSS
Native Fixed Focal Length Lenses (APS-C)
- Sony E 16mm f/2.8
- Sony E 20mm f/2.8
- Sony Sonnar T* E 24mm f/1.8 ZA
- Sony E 30mm f/3.5 Macro
- Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS
- Sony E 50mm f/1.8 OSS
Sigma E-Mount Lenses (APS-C)
- Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN 🔥🔥
- Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4DC DN
- Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN
- Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN
A brief history lesson
Despite being founded in 1946, it wasn’t until 1958 that Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo took on the name that we all know today as Sony Corporation – named after a paper-based magnetic recording tape.
Sony offers mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, such as the Sony a7 III, a7R III, a6500, and a9. However, it was Sony’s NEX series of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras where the company began its mirrorless camera journey.
First of its kind, Sony released the first ever full frame mirrorless camera in October 2013 with the α7 (ILCE-7) and α7R (ILCE-7R).
Like the α7S II (ILCE-7S2), the α9 (ILCE-9), released in 2017 quickly became Sony’s flagship camera, boasting zero black out time in the 1.3cm electronic viewfinder (EVF) and a staggering 20 frames per second continuous burst rate. Where the α7S II became known as a low light workhorse, the Sony α9 became the choice for professional photographers who needed dual memory card slots and fast and accurate autofocus.
In 2018, Sony shocked camera enthusiasts and wedding photographers alike with the release of its α7 III (ILCE-7M3) due to the mirrorless camera’s features and attractive price point ($1,999).